Are you considering using a nebulizer? Do you want to learn more about it? Then, this post is just for you as it looks at everything you should know about a nebulizer. A nebulizer is medical equipment that is used by people that have asthma or any other respiratory condition. It is used for quickly and directly administering medication to your lungs. The nebulizer converts liquid medicine into a fine mist that the person can inhale using the mouthpiece or face mask. Thus, when you take medicine in such a way, it allows it to make its way straight to your lungs as well as the respiratory system.
Table of contents
Who Requires A Nebulizer?
A nebulizer is needed by people that have a range of medical conditions. Generally, people that have any of the below lung disorders are prescribed a nebulizer by the doctor.
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
A nebulizer is sometimes prescribed to children that have a respiratory infection like bronchiolitis.
How You Should Use A Nebulizer?
Before you learn about how to use a nebulizer, you must know that a nebulizer of a reputable brand such as Nidexs should be used for the best results. Normally, the doctor or nurse would explain just how a nebulizer works before a patient can take medicine using a nebulizer. However, if you receive a nebulizer from a medical equipment company or a pharmacy, you will need to learn how to use it on your own.
Remember, every nebulizer works differently. Thus, you will need to carefully read the instructions to know how to use the device. The truth is that a nebulizer is quite easy to use. The following steps should be followed when using a nebulizer.
- Thoroughly wash your hands.
- According to the prescription of the doctor, add the required amount of the medicine into the medicine cup.
- Assemble the mouthpiece, mask, tubing, and top piece.
- According to the instructions of the nebulizer, attach the tubing onto the machine.
- Turn on the nebulizer. It is either electrically operated or battery operated.
- When using the nebulizer, make sure that you hold the medicine cup and mouthpiece upright for the medication to be properly delivered.
- Make sure to take slow and deep breaths while inhaling the medicine through the mouthpiece.
If you have any concerns regarding the medication or how to use the nebulizer, you must speak with your doctor or contact the manufacturer.
Difference between a Nebulizer & Inhaler
Although nebulizers and inhalers both have some similarities like helping deliver medicine straight into the lungs to ensure easier breathing, they also have some differences. One of the main differences between the two is the fact that nebulizers tend to be much easier to use. But, on the other hand, inhalers are portable and easy to carry around. Thus, you should choose which medical equipment suits you best.
Nebulizers offer an effective way to take medication through inhaling. They are perfect for anyone with respiratory issues. Make sure to consult a doctor before using one. Moreover, you will need a prescription to get one.